Some of you might recall Abraham Maslow from first year University/College “Psych 101”; Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. In this theory of human motivation, he ultimately says that all behaviour is motivated by needs. These needs are: Physiological needs, Safety, Love/Belonging, Esteem, all the way up to Self-Actualization.
In my work as a coach, I believe the same. I’ve branched-out from Maslow a bit, and stepped into 6 Human Needs. This model was created by Tony Robbins, my Mentor and Teacher. The 6 Human Needs are for Certainty, Uncertainty, Contribution, Significance, Growth, Love/Connection.
If you begin to pay attention to how these show-up in your life, and the lives of everyone you know, you can step into a world of compassion much more easily. Back to Maslow, here are my top 5 favourite Quotes. Enjoy!
5 Abraham Maslow Quotes to Kick-Start Your Personal Transformation
- What is necessary to change a person is to change his awareness of himself.
- All the evidence that we have indicates that it is reasonable to assume in practically every human being, and certainly in almost every newborn baby, that there is an active will toward health, an impulse towards growth, or towards the actualization.
- You can see neurosis from below – as a sickness – as most psychiatrists see it. Or you can understand it as a compassionate man might: respecting the neurosis as a fumbling and inefficient effort toward good ends.
- The ability to be in the present moment is a major component of mental wellness.
- If you plan on being anything less than you are capable of being, you will probably be unhappy all the days of your life.